[mythtv-users] How to move MythTV database to another partition?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 13 02:06:15 UTC 2006

Following up to my earlier report of the horrific disk crash that
claimed the life of my previous MythTV database, I'd like to move the
new database to a partition of its own. I am using the ATrpms Myth
distribution on Fedora Core 4.

I did the following:

* Create a new partition mounted as, amazingly enough, /mythtv.
* Shut down both mysqld and mythbackend.
* Create /mythtv/mysql and chown it to mysql:mysql.
* Move all the files in /var/lib/mysql to /mythtv/mysql. (I did it
  this way instead of just moving /var/lib/mysql to /mythtv because I
  wanted to not break any RPM package links connected to the
  directory.)
* Edit the datadir, socket, and basedir parameters in /etc/my.cnf to
  reflect the new paths (basically, just change '/var/lib/' to '/mythtv'.

However, the above steps result in an error when starting
mysqld. (Fortunately, reversing the steps restored everything to
normal.) What am I missing?