[mythtv-users] Network Device Failure.....

Oliver Seiler oseiler at acm.org
Sun Feb 12 20:02:14 UTC 2006

John Nelson wrote:
> [...]
> I am not having problems, however, where the network card for the
> backend seems to cease working.  The lights on the switch it is
> connected to stop blinking or even being lit.  I can not hit the outside
> world with the web browser or any other network tool.

Sounds like what I'm experiencing. I've got all my videos mounted from a
Windows share, so they are all streamed over the network (single box
MythTV setup). If I try to play any videos, they eventually (10-20
minutes) lock up eth0 on the box. No obvious errors logged anywhere.
Haven't experienced any networking issues otherwise.

Rebooting isn't enough to get eth0 working again; I have to physically
unplug the box and leave it for a while. This all leads me to suspect a
motherboard problem. It's an ECS K8M800-M2, which also has a Via Rhine
NIC on it. I'm going to be upgrading the BIOS on it, and if that fails
the mobo will probably be replaced.

The NIC isn't sharing interrupts with anything else. Here's what lspci
has to say about it:

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
(rev 78)