[mythtv-users] yum upgrade "freezes" - FC4 - x86_64

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 03:52:22 UTC 2006

Michael Haan wrote:
> This has happened multiple times now.  Following Jarod's guide, I do a
> fresh install of FC4 x86_64 then run "yum upgrade".  Somewhere along the
> way it "pauses".  The machine isn't frozen as I can break out of the
> upgrade by hitting ctrl-Z.  But then, re-running yum upgrade  gives me
> something about net-snmp being needed for net-snmp-libs.  Anyone else
> seen this and/or know how to get past it?

When I began building up a new amd64 system with FC4 iso's, I ran into
this as well. Having read a number of Axel's posts claiming that Smart
is better at depsolving, I gave it a try. Works like a charm. Currently
running the 2.6.15 kernel which has native support for the HD5000
ATSC/QAM card.

Here is the short form of what to do after first boot although there is
no excuse for not reading up on Smart before using it:

# rpm --import http://ATrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms
# rpm -Uvh
# rpm -uvh
# yum check-update
# yum install smart smart-gui
# smart check --help (add the channels CAREFULLY)

and then use Smart in place of yum throughout the rest of Jarod's guide.