[mythtv-users] MythTV Issues with ATSC

Richard Shaw rshaw2 at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Feb 11 03:18:29 UTC 2006

Ok, several issues I'm hoping someone can help me out with. First my
system info...

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
pcHDTV HD-3000 (for ATSC OTA HDTV)
MythTV 0.18 (atrpms) on FC4
Geforce MX4000 64MB video.

Ok, problem #1:
udev does not seem to set the correct directory permissions on
/dev/dvb/adapter0. It sets it up with only root (or owner) having rw
access. Does anyone know how to change this behavior?

Problem #2:
the kernel does not load the right drivers by default. What is the best
solution to resolve this? I don't like the idea of doing modprobe -r...
etc... Is modprobe.conf the way to go? I replaced
alias char-major-81 cx88-blackbird
with:
alias char-major-81 cx88-dvb
but that didn't seem to be enough.

Problem #3:
I can playback HDTV using azap and mplayer fine for the most part (some
stations are stronger than others), but in MythTV I either get good
video but buzzing for audio or video that stutters (slows down) about
once a second.

Problem #4:
MythTV discovered about 38 channles but many of them are duplicates.
Some have descriptors of <callsign>-DT and the same with <callsign>-HD
or the like. However when I try to change channels I only can change
between two. 31 and 32.

I'm trying to get this all worked out for a public Linux Demo so any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard