[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Feb 11 01:14:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:24:38PM -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> The problem with the broadcast flag and all other DRM measures is that
> it is, quite simply, bad security. Those of us who do security for a
> living (computer security in the case of a lot of us on this list) know
> that the best security measures are those that cause a minimum amount of
> inconvenience to legitimate users while creating the greatest barriers
> to unauthorized users. DRM is exactly the opposite. The people who make
> a lot of money selling pirated copies of movies, TV shows, and software,
> will be able to find ways around DRM. DRM will interfere mostly with
> legitimate users trying to make fair use of content they have legally
> paid for. DRM is just plain bad security. It also costs them sales. I
> would never buy a song from the Apple music store, for instance, because
> they give it to me in a way that I can't use it in my home music system.
> It's worthless to me, so they have lost a lot of sales.

The Ars piece I linked last night about (which I stole from Mr Newbury;
thanks :-) makes that point pretty clearly, as well:

	You get the picture. Copy protection is not about stamping out
	piracy. Sure, it will cut down on piracy-at least the casual
	file-trading that goes on. But at its heart, its about finding
	new ways to monetize the content. And by "monetize the
	content," I mean "charge you multiple times for the same
	thing."

Nice piece.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?