[mythtv-users] some recordings don't have audio

Mike Grusin mgrusin at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 19:46:53 UTC 2006

Hello, I have a Myth box that has been running great for the last 6 months,
but I suddenly have an odd problem.

I went to watch recorded TV a few days ago, and the last few days worth of
shows had recorded entirely without audio.  I deleted the shows and rebooted
the machine.  Things worked ok for a few recordings, then the same problem
happened again. Live TV works fine (with audio), but if I hit 'r' to record,
then immediately go watch in in recordings, there's no audio.  Restart the
backend, do the same things again, and it works.

I haven't made any recent changes to the machine.  The only thing that's
happened was a week or so ago there was a power failure.  When I restarted,
the cache (live TV) partition was damaged, so I reformatted it, but I didn't
see any other warnings in the boot text.  var/log/messages doesn't have
anything obvious occurring around the times that sound cuts out (or anywhere
else for that matter), but I'm a bit of a noob so if the line isn't obvious
(*ERROR!*) I probably wouldn't know it.

There's a pretty old thread describing something similar:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/43997.  I'm on 0.18, and
using ivtv 0.3.8 on a PVR500 (0.3.8 was the current version when I built the
system, and it's worked fine until now so I haven't changed it).

Any suggestions as to what to try?  From the above thread my instinct is to
reinstall/upgrade ivtv, but other suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks! -Mike G.