[mythtv-users] Audio Burbles on Record and Live-TV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Feb 10 18:42:18 UTC 2006

To all hardware spelunkers and kernel divers...

I have had this symptom right from the beginning and nothing I have done
has reduced it.
I suspect that it is a basic hardware/kernel problem which, with proper
tweaking, I can remove but......

Sympton:

Recording a standard definition cable television feed, either through
the PVR500 or through the HD3000 ATSC, produces short burbles in the
audio. Neither mythfrontend or mythbackend give an error messages using
'-v all'.

The symptom is a short segment of garbled sound, or sometimes an echoed
repeat of sound lasting less than half a second. "The rain in Spain
falls mregbly on the plain".
This error occurs in recorded and in live tv with myth.
This error occurs whether the stream has been captured with 'cat
/dev/....' or with myth.
The error exists in the recorded stream as it repeatably reappears at
the same spot when replayed.
The error may (or may not) be caused by other processes overloading the
system (can't really tell) but it does occur even when the only
processes are azap to tune the channel and 'cat /dev....' to record the
stream.

Playing the file with mplayer produces the repeated error message,
although the file continues to play:

a52: CRC check failed!   -0.377 ct: -0.050  16/ 16 56% 23% 47.6% 0 0

The motherboard is a Via Epia SP13000. The hard drive is Sata and hdparm
appears to do nothing when I try to set dma=1...
Fedora Core 4 with 2.6.14-1.1656 kernel.
FWIW, X has been upgraded with openchrome to include the xvmc drivers
but since this appears to be a record side error, I don't think that
this is relevant.

Any ideas anyone?

Geoff

--