[mythtv-users] XvMC, Plextor Question, and Sound

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 10 18:41:58 UTC 2006

So, do I understand this correctly:

I've installed a Plextor ConvertX (I've run out of PCI slots).

Even if I am ultimately successful in getting XvMC to work, I would
get no help from it in playing video from the Plextor (live or
recorded) as it is MPEG-4???

Is there any work afoot to support Plextor modes other than MPEG-4?

The Plextor has been working surprisingly well, but if anyone is
considering one, be aware that it does not embed the sound in the
MPEG stream, the way a PVR does. Rather it sends uncompressed sound
to ALSA as PCM, which requires a sound card input.

My on-board sound is limited, and I can't install a sound card
because if I had a slot for one I wouldn't be using the Plextor. It
is working as it is, but results in any other sound (KDE etc.)
showing up in the TV audio.

If I get my HD-3000 card working, it sends sound as baseband to the
sound card, and I don't think MythtTV can separate the PCM and the
line inputs. Perhaps I could use a USB sound device for line in but I
don't know.

I guess I could replace two of my 150s with a 500, freeing up a slot
for a sound card, but I think I'll wait 'till the 500 support settles
down a bit.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org