[mythtv-users] upgrade gone awry ivtv modules missing?

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Fri Feb 10 16:31:44 UTC 2006

Ahh, everything is working again!

Just to clear everything up

-------------------------------------
trapperofspam wrote:
Did you remove the old .ko files before doing the make install of the
new version of ivtv? I have a feeling that might be your problem.
-------------------------------------

No I didn't remove the old .ko files because this was a fresh install
of fc4.  The only thing I had done was copy /home over from my old
system and put copies of the old /etc and /usr/local in my home
directory for reference.  I'm not sure if anyone else has
successfully installed ivtv-kmdl-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 but I couldn't on
this system.  Simply installing kernel#2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 and kmdl
modules for alsa, ivtv, lirc, and nvidia-graphics8178 worked fine the
first time.  It could be something funny with the repository
configuration for yum on this system but I never had any issues on
FC3 when using apt-get and synaptic.  My synaptic install on FC4 is
still refusing to download rpms.

-------------------------------------
Axel.Thimm wrote in response to jra:
 > That sounds like it means that if you run automatic updates on your
 > kernel, you'll eventually have *two* ivtv drivers on your machine
 > conflicting with one another.
 >
 > Does it mean that?

No, it just means that ivtv built for 2.6.15 and ivtv built for 2.6.14
will have different contents, nothing more.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
--------------------------------------

If you look in /lib/modules you will see a directory for each version
of the kernel install on your machine, even subversions of 2.6.15
like 2.6.15-1.1830 and 2.6.15-1.1831.  The problem for the last day
or so was kernel modules existed for 2.6.15-1.1830 but not the yum
upgrade installed 2.6.15-1.1831 kernel.  I checked synaptic today
(because it allows me to see all available versions graphically) and
kmdl modules are now available for kernel 1831.

So it appears that there is a delay between kernel builds and modules
builds and understandably so.  The people building the driver modules
need the kernel before they can build their code.

Anyone following Jarod's exceptional howto could fall into this minor
pitfall.  It resolves itself over time, the modules become available,
but this delay could discourage someone new to MythTV.  Maybe a note
is necessary to describe how to downgrade to a kernel that has all of
the modules available.

Another suggestion, and maybe it exists and I don't know of it, is a
rpm with all of mythtv's required packages like mythtv-suite but
without mythtv packages for people that want to build mythtv from
svn.  I had to read the README for each mythtv module.  Not a big
deal but a single rpm would be really nice.

Finally, I found that missing pvr-250 card.  I pulled both pvr cards
and reseated them and they both are working now.  One of them must
have came loose in the trip to and from the office.

Thanks everyone,
Vinton