[mythtv-users] Accuracy of HDTV processor requirements statement in HOWTO

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 10 06:42:06 UTC 2006

On Feb 09, 2006, at 19:40, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> What modeline are you using for these cards?  I've not been able
>>> to get
>>> 1080i working.
>>>

>> How does that work? Wouldn't you just use the VGA input whenever
>> possible and set the resolution
>> to the native pixel resolution of the TV? Why do you need a modeline?
>>

> because X requires a modeline

A more in depth explanation is that X is always using a modeline, but
its often a built-in one, instead of a custom one. Custom modelines
are necessary in many cases when outputting to a TV though, because
many TVs provide broken EDID info (if any at all), so the "right"
modeline can't be auto-detected.

I have to use a modeline for my DVI-connected 1920x1080p LCD HDTV,
though that could be a case of there not being a functional 1080p
modeline built in already. Without a modeline, I wind up with a FUGLY
800x600 mode. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com