[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Jerry McBride mcbrides9 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 04:06:58 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 22:43, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/9/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> >     from Arstechnica:
> >

> >     *HBO wants its programming to be off-limits for DVRs*
> >
> > 2/9/2006 2:03:29 PM, by Eric Bangeman <mailto:eric at arstechnica.com>
> >
> > Although the courts shot down the FCC's attempt to enforce the broadcast
> > flag, the networks are moving full steam ahead on getting the flag
> > written into law one way or another. So far, one bill has been
> > introduced <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051218-5797.html>
> > that would plug the so-called "analog hole," and there have been a
> > number of Congressional hearings
> > <http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/broadcast-flag.ars> on piracy
> > and copyright. No matter what the venue, the mantra of the media
> > industry has been the same: restrictions on what consumers can do with
> > their broadcasts are absolutely necessary in order to stop piracy and
> > keep the networks in business.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > HBO has joined the fray with a recent FCC filing
> > <http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-02/hbo-petitions-fcc-to-prevent-dvr-rec
> >ording/> in which it argues that its programming—and all "Subscription
> > Video On Demand" services—should fall into the category of "Copy Never."
> > In a broadcast-flagged world, that translate into consumers not being
> > able to record content broadcast by HBO. No TiVo, no VCR, no video
> > capturing on your PC, /no nada/.
>
> oh well, at least HBO doesn't have any content worth watching any more
> anyway.

Wow, you just said a mouth full. We dropped hbo, showtime, etc. just for that
single reason. Why pay a premium for tired old reruns like GUARDING TESS, THE
NEST, TIMELINE, MANIC?

We have a better, cheaper time renting and borrowing DVD's from BLOCK BUSTER
or friends and neighbors...

Ain't no broadcast-flag in them... :')