[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Noah Markon nmarkon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 01:19:13 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Noah Markon wrote:
> >> Wild guesses:
> >> Check that these channels are denoted as ATSC on the channel information
> >> page reached from the channel editor in mythtv-setup.
> >> Set the atscsrcid to null or zero for the SD channels. I noticed some
> >> oddities on my digital SD channels before I forced that setting to zero
> >> ( I don't do HD... no output with a VIA SP13000 so I'm not even trying!).
> >> I presume that the 'azap -r somechannel' plus 'cat
> >> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > test.mpg' followed by 'mplayer test.mpg' works.
> >>
> >> But does 'azap -r somechannel' followed by  'mplayer -vid x -aid y
> >> /dev/dvr/adapter0/dvr0'  work, where you plug in the vid and aid numbers
> >> found in the atscscan run?  If the latter works, I wonder if the
> >> serviceid is actually correct.

Ok I just thought I'd report back on what happened. I tried both, cat
/dev/dvb... and mplayer /dev/dvb.. and they both seemed to work ok on
the SD channels. It's a little hard for me to tell since I don't get
any sound on my server, and I don't know how to run the second command
over a network, or output the video into a file then view it on a
faster machine.  However I did not encounter any slow-motion in the
video.

I tried running the HD channel that was causing my frontend to crash,
and I get the following ( i edited out some stuff)  errors when I
played through mplayer:
mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 -vid 16 -aid 17 -vo x11 -geometry 800x600
a52: CRC check failed!
VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [x11] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> BGR 16-bit special converter
a52: CRC check failed!   -0.377 ct: -0.050  16/ 16 56% 23% 47.6% 0 0
<--I got a ton of these.

Too many video packets in the buffer: (140 in 8397293 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A:88217.3 V:88217.6 A-V: -0.324 ct:  0.448 209/209 39% 22% 75.5% 45 0

I then tried some of the other HD channels that have been working, and
they each have the same type of errors, so I'm guessing the problem is
related to my slow server. However that' just a guess.

Ok since these channels work fine when i tune them through the azap
methods, but they don't when I tune them in myth, where does that
leave me? What are my next steps to try?