[mythtv-users] Important Cable Question

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:18:47 UTC 2006

cweisiger at i-55.com wrote:
> This may sound silly but I have a question regarding cable
> and tv-tuner cards, in this case pvr-350.
>
> I have cable service through Charter Communications..
> and using their provided cable box. They have Digital
> Cable service. (They also have High Def TV. I dont have this)
> Does this mean that my pvr-350 wont work?
> Will I have to get a different tv tuner card so i can
> hook my cable line straight to my computer without having
> to use my cable box for channels 1-125. Or will the pvr-350
> work. Because I was wanting to get another tv tuner card
> so i could hook up my cable box so i can record premium shows,
> of course being able to record a show and watch a show
> at the same time. And I was getting information off the list
> here and it was recommended to either get a pvr-150 or 250.
>
> If it wont work..Ill have to search for a proper tv tuner card.
>

> I hope anyone understands what Im trying to ask

Yes, what you're asking is, can you use a PVR-350 to record digital
cable as well as analog.  Your cable box is getting the digital and
analog at once and delivering both to your TV in the same format.  As
far as I know the PVRs won't be able to capture the digital content.
You need to input into the PVR the same type of RF input that you would
give to your TV, namely analog only.  This means that to get the digital
cable you will need to take the output of your cable box and connect
that to the PVR, then use an IR blaster to control the cable box.  At
least this is how I think the PVRs work.
Raphael