[mythtv-users] x86_64 and forcedeth

Bryan Halter bhalter at armyofpenguins.com
Thu Feb 9 02:20:37 UTC 2006

Michael Haan wrote:

> On 2/8/06, *Ian Forde* <ian at duckland.org <mailto:ian at duckland.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:19 -0500, Michael Haan wrote:
>
>     > You got it:
>     >
>     > 1) Yes the installation completes just fine.
>
>     Okay
>
>     > 2) I have the machine set to use a static IP address:
>     > ip=192.168.2.110 <http://192.168.2.110>, nm=255.255.255.0
>     <http://255.255.255.0>, gw=192.168.2.1 <http://192.168.2.1>,
>     dns=192.168.2.1 <http://192.168.2.1>
>
>     Okay
>
>     > 3) I originally was using the default forcedeth driver as
>     confirmed by
>     > both network config and lsmod
>
>     Okay
>
>     > 4) When the machine booted, I would watch as eth0 was successfully
>     > activated, but synchronizing with ntp failed
>
>     Ping your default router.
>
>     > 5) Opening a shell, ifconfig showed eth0 to be active and configured
>     > with my static address, but both ping www.google.com
>     <http://www.google.com> and ping
>     > 192.168.2.1 <http://192.168.2.1> immediately result in "Network
>     unreachable" and and no
>     > discernable actual network activity.
>
>     That's no guarantee.  Many sites block pings.  Your ISP could block
>     pings.  Your router can block pings.  Send pings to your default
>     router
>     for some time and see what happens.
>
>     > 6) So, I install the latest nvnet driver and change modprobe.conf to
>     > use that (and not use forcedeth) - reboot and confirm that nvnet
>     is in
>     > use and not forcedeth.
>     > 7) Same exact thing happens.
>
>     IMHO, switching drivers was premature... the OS loaded the
>     driver.  What
>     does lspci say?  ifconfig apparently works... stick with the
>     forcedeth
>     driver and work from there...
>
>             -I
>
>     > The network config is unchanged from a configuration that worked
>     > before (powerline down to a hub acting as a crossover into my
>     > router).
>     >
>     > Does that help?  As I said before FC4 x86 worked, and FC5 candidates
>     > worked, but FC4 x86_64  just doesn't want to.
>     > mythtv-users mailing list
>     > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

> 192.168.2.1 <http://192.168.2.1> is my default router/gateway.

Here's a stab in the dark. Try running route -add net defaut gw
192.168.2.1 .  That will establish the default route in the event that
it is missing.  If you still can't ping anything please post the output
of route -n.  Also have you verified that the link lights are on on the
card and that there is a periodic flash of the activity light?