[mythtv-users] x86_64 and forcedeth

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Feb 8 17:17:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 11:19 -0500, Michael Haan wrote:

> You got it:
>
> 1) Yes the installation completes just fine.

Okay

> 2) I have the machine set to use a static IP address:
> ip=192.168.2.110, nm=255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.2.1, dns=192.168.2.1

Okay

> 3) I originally was using the default forcedeth driver as confirmed by
> both network config and lsmod

Okay

> 4) When the machine booted, I would watch as eth0 was successfully
> activated, but synchronizing with ntp failed

Ping your default router.

> 5) Opening a shell, ifconfig showed eth0 to be active and configured
> with my static address, but both ping www.google.com and ping
> 192.168.2.1 immediately result in "Network unreachable" and and no
> discernable actual network activity.

That's no guarantee.  Many sites block pings.  Your ISP could block
pings.  Your router can block pings.  Send pings to your default router
for some time and see what happens.

> 6) So, I install the latest nvnet driver and change modprobe.conf to
> use that (and not use forcedeth) - reboot and confirm that nvnet is in
> use and not forcedeth.
> 7) Same exact thing happens.

IMHO, switching drivers was premature... the OS loaded the driver.  What
does lspci say?  ifconfig apparently works... stick with the forcedeth
driver and work from there...

	-I