[mythtv-users] HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:47:06 UTC 2006

> I have a wide-screen HDTV with only component in.  I'm using a
> VGA-component converter.  Not knowing my "native resolution" but knowing
> the set accepts 1080i, I used the Modeline Generator at
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl and started with
> 1920x1080.  This created a modeline with the horrible overscan you
> mention.  After a little fiddling around, I found that 1760x990
> resolution worked for me.  Here is my modeline:
>
> # My 1920x1080i mode
>         Mode "1920x1080i"
>                 DotClock 74.25
>                 HTimings 1760 1928 1984 2204
>                 VTimings 990 1034 1040 1113
>                 Flags "-HSync" "-VSync" "Interlace"
>         EndMode
>
> There's also a tool with Xorg (I can't remember the name) that will
> allow you to adjust your screen for perfect fit and then give you the
> exact modeline.  Use that for fine tuning.
>
> HTH,
>
> Drew

Thank you for the reply.   I thought in the past when I tried changing the
resolution with powerstrip to anything much off of 1080i, I TV lost signal
despite following the directions to keep the frequencies where they needed
to be.  I am outputting directly to component out on my video card but I am
not sure that would matter.  I will try your settings.   If that doesn't
work, I'll see if I can get that resolution to work on my TV with the
xltiming.pl approach.  Thanks for the advice!