[mythtv-users] Fedora 4 and Hard-Drive Setup for Myth TV

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:10:22 UTC 2006

> - Do I need to add partitions to any of the drives?
> - Is it ok to keep windows on one drive and linux on another?
> - How can I get C drive to not show RAW in Windows (is this because there
> is
> only 1 partition which has linux installed?)
> - Can I save MythTV files to both the B and C drives? I'm sure I've read
> somewhere about Fedora 4 only being able to read (not write) NTFS files.

If this was me, I would use the 20G drive for my main root drive. Erase
windows and install Fedora on there as per Jarods guide.
Use the 2 40G drives together with LVM to make an 80G /video partition. This
will give you around 80 hours of recording space at 'mediumish' quality.
You sound sort of new to Linux so one of the easiest ways to save the 15G of
media you currently have would be to back it up onto DVD's and then load it
back onto your machine after you get things setup and working. Chances are
you will install and reinstall several times until you get comfortable and
things working well with fedora and myth.
This will give you a good base to a starter system for myth. You will also
need a tuner card which I'm assuming that you have already.

Rereading your post, I'm not clear if you wanted to keep your Windows
installation or not. If you did, you can leave it alone and just install
Fedora on the 2 40G drives together to get a taste of myth.
--
-=/>Thom