[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Feb 7 04:16:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 23:12 -0500, Dylan R. Semler wrote:

> Ian Forde wrote:
> >I tried, but it kept failing on all of the channels.  I ended up
> >modifying it to work for me.  Instead of running 'time' on mplayer, I
> >grepped mplayer's output for "Starting playback".  I got better results,
> >but I still ended up with a bunch of music channels.  (Incidentally,
> >what was failing in the original was mplayer.  The line:
> >
> >'echo | time -o time.dat mplayer $tempdir/test.mpg >& /dev/null'
> >
> >was exiting too quickly.  Even when trying it on 2 different systems...
> >The output from time.dat was:
> >
> >0.01user 0.01system 0:01.76elapsed 1%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
> >0maxresident)k
> >0inputs+0outputs (63major+1063minor)pagefaults 0swaps
> >
> It's meant to end quickly for encrypted channels (cause mplayer can't
> play them).  Did you try it specifically on a non-encrypted channel and
> it still ended too quickly?  It's not too important because using grep
> will do the job, but like you said, it won't get rid of the music
> channels.  In theory using time will be able to get rid of the music
> channels too.

I even tried it on an avi file that mplayer will play normally.  This
would work:

mplayer /usr/bin/somefile.avi

This wouldn't:

echo | time -o time.dat /usr/bin/mplayer somefile.avi

So what I did was modify your script to get a 5 second capture from all
of the channels on the scan.  Some of those were music channels.
mplayer can even play some of those files, so I'm not sure that that's
the answer either.  So right now I'm sitting on 54 mpg files that I've
got to check manually.  This *REALLY* sucks. ;)

	-I