[mythtv-users] Thoroughly confused about scheduling

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 00:16:13 UTC 2006

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> In 18.1:
>
> I've just been trying to use Custom Record to create some very simple
> rules, e.g., record only new episodes of a particular series, on any
> channel.
>
> I started out by saying (in the Power Search Recording Rule Editor):
>     program.title = "American Experience"
>     program.previouslyshown = 0
> and then clicking Record and filling in "Record only this showing",
> then clicking on "Save these settings".
>
> Unfortunately, then I realized that I might be saying, "Really record
> only this very showing at this very time that for the program I happen
> to be editing" as opposed to "record any new episode of this on any
> channel."  I thought this because I tried it with a different series
> and found the schedule only claiming it would be recording ONE of TWO
> new episodes, claiming that the later-airing, completely different
> episode was "E" for "earlier recorded."  Wrongo.
>
> So I found an AmExp episode in the Upcoming listing, went to Edit Options,
> and changed it to "Record at any time on any channel", whereupon the
> scheduler promptly claimed it was going to record EVERY showing of
> American Experience, including multiple copies of 3-year-old repeats,
> so now I have to go turn off every single one of them -and- it'll no
> doubt keep doing this forever until I figure out how to fix it.
>
> WTF???
>
> I think the problem here is that it's really unclear to me exactly
> how I'm supposed to be specifying this, and what's overriding what.
> Should I be specifying "any time, any channel" in edit options if I'm
> writing a custom rule like this?  If not, what -should- I be doing?
> If I edit options on some random episode already in the Scheduled
> Recordings list, am I bashing what the custom rule is trying to do?
>
> It doesn't help that, once I create one of the Custom Record rules,
> I can't figure out where to -find- it again---not in the UI, nor even
> in the database (what is the name of the table that holds these rules?
> I've tried all the likely ones and many of the unlikely ones and can't
> find them; I'm about to resort to dumping out the DB as ASCII and
> grepping it to see where these rules are).  So if I screw it up, I'm
> not sure how to fix the situation.
>
> So how -exactly- do I:
> (a) Specify "record any new episode of this series at any time on any
>     channel", and
> (b) How do I go back through the rules I've already created and fix
>     them such that (a) is true, -without- having them spuriously try
>     to pick up redundant copies of repeats?
>
> Yes, I've looked at mythtv-HOWTO-12.html, and no, it doesn't seem to
> be describing the behavior I'm seeing at all.

I use Mythweb, it seems easy to use.  You have these options:

      Schedule Options:

    * Don't record this program.
    * Record only this showing.
    * Record this program in this timeslot every day.
    * Record this program in this timeslot every week.
    * Find and record one showing of this title.
    * Find and record one showing of this title each day.
    * Find and record one showing of this title each week.
    * Record at any time on channel 3.
    * Record at any time on any channel.

And, if you want to change them, just go to "recording Schedules",
select the program and then change the options.