[mythtv-users] MythTV and Satellite

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 6 23:55:40 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>That is why firewire is so nice.  You send the channel change commands and capture video right over the wire.  No risk of having the sat box "miss" the ir commands from the ir blaster (which rarely happens, but is possible).

LOL.  I've been running my Myth box with a homebrew IR blaster
("Improved IR transmitter" from LIRC site) for almost 2 years, now, and
I've never missed a channel change (except 3 times when the DISH
receiver itself got "locked up" on a popup dialog saying there was no
satellite signal--it doesn't accept channel changes with number keys in
that mode, only using the channel up/down buttons).  I've also been
deleting a lot of messages about missed channel changes using firewire...

Mike