[mythtv-users] VMWare and MythTV

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Mon Feb 6 22:41:04 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 3:19 pm, Francesco Peeters wrote:
> On Mon, February 6, 2006 23:04, James Dastrup said:
> > On Monday 06 February 2006 2:50 pm, Ted Rathkopf wrote:
> >> Arrr, Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com>
> >> What ye be sayin'?

> >> As a backend, you'd probably run into some difficulties, but I
> >> would think vmware would be an excellent way to run a full
> >> featured frontend on your desktop.
> >
> > I would doubt the VMware video drivers are capable of displaying
> > a good quality video. Maybe SD would work, but I can't imagine it
> > playing HD at all. I have several VMware sessions running; if I
> > get a chance I'll try it soon and let y'all know.
>
> Isn't this what winmyth is intended to address?...  ;-)

Possibly, but it's in no way a full-featured frontend, and my
experience with it is it's way underdeveloped, and therefore full of
bugs and lacks features. I wish it did work, because I do have
several windows machines still around.

BTW, if you haven't heard, VMware is now offering it's GSX version for
free, starting today.