[mythtv-users] Second Monitor

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 6 19:07:39 UTC 2006

Chris Hembrow wrote:

>I think you're misunderstanding my requirements, I don't want 2
>independent frontends. Let's start again:
>
>I have a front end with 2 monitors attached. I want to be able to use
>either monitor to control THE SAME mythfrontend. One of these monitors
>is being driven by a really old, crappy 8mb pci graphics card, with no
>hardware decoding. Because of this, I don't want tv/video outputting
>to this screen, but I still want to be able to tell myth to play tv. I
>realise this last is slightly redundant, but I have reasons.
>
>basically, i'm planning on trying to turn the second monitor into a
>small touchscreen, on the front of my case, and outputting video to
>this would be pretty pointless. If it is not possible to disable
>video/tv, then I'll have to come up with an alternative solution

OK, step out of the box.  Set up a second monitor, start a new X session
in it, and then use either kbdd or kbde (your choice, google for them)
and a menuing system of your design to send keystrokes to the real
mythfrontend.

I'd be curious if this would work with the 'telnet socket control' with
the new 0.19....

Let me know after you have it working  :-)

--Yan