[mythtv-users] gentoo USE flags (was: Re: xine passes Dolby Digital, but not DTS [SOLVED])

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Feb 5 20:53:39 UTC 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 1:33 pm, Daniel A. Segel wrote:
> Daniel A. Segel wrote:
>
> >I use xine via MythTV to watch DVD images (iso's) that I've created from
> >my DVD collection. I have it configured to pass through the digital
> >audio to my receiver via alsa and the onboard nforce audio. If I select
> >the Dolby Digital soundtrack then it all works beautifully, but if I
> >select a DTS audio track then I get no sound at all. DTS works fine from
> >my real DVD player, so I know there's no problem on the receiver end.
> >
> >Is there something I'm missing with the xine configuration? Some
> >additional library I need to install? How can I begin to debug this
> >
> >problem? Would posting my alsa and/or xine configuration files help?
> >
> It turns out I just needed to compile xine with a DTS flag of some kind.
> I use Gentoo, so after putting 'dts' in my use flags and re-emerging it
> everything works fine.

You know, it took me quite a while to get my USE flags configured for
everything I do. (burning DVDs, streaming via mythstreamtv, recording,
playback, gaming, digital audio, etc). Maybe it would help if I post
my USE flags?

media-video/mplayer -arts mythtv encode mad dvd xv cdparanoia mpeg sse win32codecs jpeg png live matroska theora aac aalib alsa doc dts ggi lirc lzo vorbis nvidia opengl rtc truetype xvmc dv joystick xvid
media-video/vlc mp3 dvd xv svg ffmpeg ogg vorbis theora freetype flac live libcaca mod nsplugin httpd stream a52 dts -arts -wxwindows
media-video/ffmpeg mp3 aac zlib a52 vorbis ogg truetype doc threads encode dvd xvid
media-tv/mythtv -arts alsa lirc opengl mmx mysql vorbis nvidia joystick
media-plugins/mythmusic aac fftw opengl debug
media-plugins/mythdvd transcode debug
media-plugins/mythgallery opengl exif debu debug
media-video/xine-ui curl lirc aalib libcaca X nls
media-libs/xine-lib -arts mad dvd xv win32codecs theora aac flac ffmpeg aalib dts nvidia xvmc vorbis a52 mng imagemagick asf
media-video/transcode jpeg ffmpeg mjpeg mpeg imagemagick encode dvdread truetype fame theora avi lzo xvid -sse -mmx -sse2 -gtk
media-video/mjpegtools avi -gtk
games-emulation/xmame -arts -esd -sdl -svga alsa expat dga ggi lirc joystick opengl mmx X xv
games-emulation/snes9x opengl joystick zlib dga
app-misc/lirc xbox
media-libs/a52dec djbfft
x11-base/xorg-x11 sdk doc

And here are the software versions:
media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre7-r1
media-video/vlc-0.8.4a
media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20051216
media-tv/mythtv-0.18.1-r1
media-plugins/mythmusic-0.18.1
media-plugins/mythdvd-0.18.1
media-plugins/mythgallery-0.18.1
media-video/xine-ui-0.99.4-r3
media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.1-r4
media-video/transcode-1.0.0
media-video/mjpegtools-1.6.2-r4
games-emulation/xmame-0.102
games-emulation/snes9x-1.43-r115
app-misc/lirc-0.7.2
media-libs/a52dec-0.7.4-r5
x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6

Note: snes9x and mythgame use custom patches for use with xbox controllers. mythgame doesn't
      need any special use flags though. Everything else is standard.

Note2: I run an nvidia 5200, so my configs are geared for that:
media-gfx/nvidia-cg-toolkit-1.2.0402.1900 *
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676 *
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-r1 *
media-video/nvidia-settings-1.0.20050729 *

Note3: I have a PVR 350 and a Plextor ConvertX, but neither require customer USE flags:
media-tv/ivtv-svn-3060
media-tv/wis-go7007-linux-0.9.7

Pretty much all of those are used/useful. Enjoy!

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net