[mythtv-users] when to deinterlace?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Feb 5 05:52:57 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 11:46 pm, matt wrote:
> Actually you may, probably do, need to deinterlace to your tv. I forget
> exactly what what the deal is, but basically you need to turn it on or
> adjust it when your watching something and you see lines across your
> display. You'll see them top to bottom and usually when things are
> moving quickly. If you ever watch Jimmy Neutron you will see it
> sometimes, but you almost have to be looking for it. (This will have
> nothing to do with Myth but how they render the cartoon) Both Myth and
> your Nvidia card will have settings for it. So in your case I would say
> that its probably on for your card, so you don't need it in Myth.
>
> If you do a google search I'm sure you will fine many articles about it.
> Its used for quite a few things.

Can anyone second this? I'm a very visual person, and I'm usually quite
sensitive to visual artifacts (my wife, an auditory/kinesthetic learner,
is blind to most playback issues that annoy me to death), and I've never
once noticed any such lines on my TV. I even watch Jimmy Neutron. :)

Phill Edwards' comment about monitors makes sense. I bet deinterlace is
needed when using the VGA port on LCD TVs too, but not when using SVid or
RCA ports.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin