[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon 9250 Vs Nvidia GeForce 5200

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 04:57:37 UTC 2006

Robin Hill wrote:
> On Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 08:23:05AM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>>Bob wrote:
>>
>>>Mmm, I?m not looking at the ATI driver. I?m trying to find the readme
>>>files (or the developer mailing list) for the OS drivers, both the
>>>?radeon? & ?r200? ones to see if there?s any mention of MPEG.
>>
>>I'll save you time, it's not in there.  It would have to support XvMC
>>which is what Myth supports for MPEG acceleration and ATI doesn't have
>>it.  Period.
>
> It doesn't have it _yet_.  Dave Airlie is currently working on XvMC for
> ATI.  It looks to be early days yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed
> on this (since Nvidia cards won't clock low enough to support a
> VGA-SCART output).

Thanks for the info, his blog seem to suggest it’s coming along but not
that fast.
http://airlied.livejournal.com/17114.html
I don’t have an HD source ATM so I’m very happy to wait (and help if I
can) for this.

It’s also made me consider getting an r300 card for my next computer
which will be Athlon64 and PCIe based but annoyingly there is no OS card
available for that platform.