[mythtv-users] Mythgame on svn

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 3 01:09:32 UTC 2006

Has anybody managed to get the svn version of mythgame to work?

Is there any current documentation available?

I've read every HowTo I could find, every README file, every thread I
could find on gossamer, everything remotely relevant on the wiki,
googled every combination of related words and I simply can't find any
clear instructions on how to set up a simple "PC game" (I assume this
means a native Linux game that I can launch under X from a command line).

Most of the howto's are pre-svn, and apparently mythgame was completely
broken for 0.18.  Many notes and posts hint at "major changes" for
mythgame in svn, so I'm not sure how relevant most of the howto's are
anyway.

For starters, all I want to do is get neverball (a simple native SDL
game) plugged into mythgame.

There seems to be a need for a "gamelist.xml" file (indeed, there is one
in the mythgame src directory, and the readme file makes reference to
it, though I suspect the readme may not have been updated), though it's
not clear where that file needs to be placed.  Putting it in
/usr/local/share/mythtv and then doing all the possible magical
incantations to have mythgame scan for games doesn't seem to create any
playable entry based on that file.

Ironically, I suspect I could probably get xmame or some other emulator
working more easily since the UI seems geared for entering that kind of
info.  I wanted to start with something simple first so I could
understand how things work, then deal with game pads, screen size, file
locations, etc. a little bit at a time.

Hoping someone has blazed a trail, or perhaps one of the developers will
have mercy (I PROMISE to writeup whatever I learn on the wiki in return! ;-)

Cheers,
john