[mythtv-users] Single encoder, BE shows two?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Feb 2 22:25:51 UTC 2006

Ok, single BE/FE machine, single SD tuner.

Encoder status shows:

Encoder 1 is remote on localhost.localdomain (currently not connected).
Encoder 2 is local on mindflayer.dep.lan and is not recording.

Searching the archives for "Encoder 1 is remote on localhost.localdomain"
returns a single thread
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/77586?search_string=%26quot%3B%20Encoder%201%20is%20remote%20on%20localhost.localdomain%20%26quot%3B;#77586).
 However, this doens't really apply as the system is working correctly.

I know why it's happening (127.0.0.1 is localhost and
localhost.localdomain in /etc/hosts), but will it break anything in the
existing setup if I change the backend to look at the actual IP, or should
I append the machine name and local domain to the 127.0.0.1 entry?  Delete
the localhost entry from the DB?

And for the record, both the docs and the help in the backend both say if
the BE is on the same machine as the FE, leave 127.0.0.1 in the field.

Suggestions?