[mythtv-users] HDTV Hardware Question

Tony Enriquez t_enriquez at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 22:04:54 UTC 2006

the 6412 is their dual tuner box iirc, in which case
you'll want to
get the 6200 for MythTV use. Second, don't expect to
get all the
channels via firewire, 5C may be enabled preventing
this. Before
building anything, get a 6200 in your hands, connect
it to your tv and
use the service menu to see if 5C is enabled by your
cable company.
--------------------
Steve,

My cable company only offers the 6412.  According to
the website they also use HDCP (High-bandwidth digital
content protection).  Is this the same as 5C?

-------------------
If all looks good from here, then yes, you will be
able to use the
cable box as a tuner and connect as many as you want
via firewire. No
internal tuner required.

Your only issue will be playback of HDTV, though you
can manage if you
have an nVidia card and enable XvMC for playback. If
you want to go
the route of using just your CPU you will need
something closer to
3Ghz, as always the faster the better. You may even be
able to use the
same motherboard and just place a faster CPU in it.
Firewire captures
don't stress the CPU as much as the harddrives. A
single drive can
handle about 2 HD streams at a time, using a RAID 5
array you can
increase this. It is also suggested to use a seperate
drive for your
recordings. 512MB of RAM should be fine, my be/fe box
is running with
512MB.

--
Steve

My video card is a NVIDIA 5200 so I will give that a
try when I get the set top box.  FYI, I used a HD-3000
card and received one PBS and one preview channel.
The preview channel was about 3"x1" in size.  I'm
guessing the other 4 signals were encrypted.  Thanks
for the response!

Tony