[mythtv-users] Will a PcChips M789CLU C3 2000+ with WinPVR card suffice?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 2 16:29:58 UTC 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Jo Shields wrote:

> I think that's something of a generalization.
>
> KT133 had some major IDE controller issues. KT133, 266 and 333 were a
> little badly behaved in terms of PCI bus flooding (especially when a
> Sound Blaster got involved). KT600 was uncompetitive compared to
> nforce4, if a reasonable chipset. The AMD64 range (e.g. K8T800) are
> pretty good, and considered a good choice for those wanting better
> Linux
> support than nForce4 offers.
>
> Personally I've had more grief with SiS than Via, and my K8T800 board
> works fine.

Agreed. I'm using a K8M8MS mobo and it seems to be working just fine.
I push it pretty hard with all 6 (including SATA) IDE ports sometimes
working at once, all with DMA of course.

Not that VIA has not had problems in the past, but I think they all
have at one time or another, we just tend to note the problems that
happen to hit *our* setup the most.

I think the ivtv site, which specifically mentions VIA problems,
notes that recent boards seem OK.