[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.18.1 w/ PVR-150MCE Channel change SOUND issue.

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Thu Feb 2 12:55:36 UTC 2006

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> > however, for some reason EVERYTIME
> > I first startup MythTV the sound is very distorted (hi-pitched), but I
> > can still make out what they are saying; it's not static, just
> > distorted.
>
>I posted about a similar issue on the ivtv-users mailing list called
>"The return of 'tinny' audio in 0.4.2?"  My audio is intelligible
>(barely), but sounds like there's a buzz applied.  The distortion starts
>within 5 seconds of tuning to a channel.
>
>Things that are the same between us:
>0.4.2
>PVR-150 card
>Composite input (maybe?  I saw that you're using the directv.pl script,
>so that implies either SVideo or composite.  Either way, it's the
>external audio jacks and we're not using the tuner)
>
>I haven't tried the ivtvctl -q 1 trick yet, but if it works I might have
>to make it a part of my external channel change script (temporarily).

Yea, I thought of that too... so I searched and searched the boards, but
couldn't find anything related to the fix. Then it dawned on me that it
might not be ivtv because the audio will work until I change the channel
in MythTV only. If I kick up xawtv and use the directv.pl it works fine
no matter what channel. I am using the Composite input from my DirecTV
box, but I think it has a S-Video out I could always try instead
(D10-300)... hhhmmm. Another thing is that MythTV gives me the choice of
Composite0 and Composite1 but in reality I only have one composite in on
my card. I have setup these in every combination possible, but am
working with just the settings in Composite1.

Another reason I believe it is MythTV is that I also made a change to my
directv file (external control change script) to execute the fix for my
box (ivtvctl -q 1), what happens is that MythTV executes the command
shortly before whatever it does that screws up the audio in the first
place... No solution in that. So, I ended up putting the "audio fix"
into a shell script and then mapping that script to my "clear" button on
my remote... that cleans up the audio AFTER the channel change completes
without me having to ssh into the box remotly and running the command,
however it doesn't fix the issues with my recordings. Since the channel
opens with the bad audio.

I'm not on the ivtv list so I hope somebody knows something about this
issue and will let me know on here.

Josh