[mythtv-users] Cable Box and PVR-350 Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 2 12:33:51 UTC 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>> But the TV out of the PVR 350 is only designed for outputting
>> MPEG2 SD
>> content, if you have HD content or use another codec it’s not
>> worth it,
>> (I heard rumor it can now output MPEG4 with some new / experimental
>> drivers and fair bit of work from both you and your CPU).
>>
> My understanding is that MPEG-2 is MPEG-2.  HD is just higher bitrate
> and resolution than SD.  I don't have a PVR-350 so I'm not sure
> that it
> can push those resolutions but it wouldn't surprise me that it
> can.  And
> yes, it used to suffer greatly on non-MPEG-2 content (although if all
> you have are hardware recorders you only have MPEG-2 content
> probably).
> The newer Xv drivers can do a good job of MPEG-4 playback now.

No, the 350 can't output any resolution greater than normal DVD res.

I tried using a 350 for output, and despite all that I have heard I
was not impressed, very obvious digital artifacts, and playing the
same file looked a lot better from my nVidia 5700.

Of course I am probably more sensitive to digital "artifacts" than
most folk, two other people I tried to point them out to could not
see them.

Given that I want to move to HD I'll stick with the nVidia.