[mythtv-users] slightly OT - DVB-S question

Matthew Geier matthew at sleeper.apana.org.au
Thu Feb 2 10:05:11 UTC 2006

Nick Rout wrote:
> If I have two DVB-S devices connected to  one satelite dish, does the
> dish need two LNB's? (Obviously i would want each device to be tuned to
> a different channel, but all channels on the same satellite.)
>
> If it matters one device will be a sky set top box, the other will be a
> PCI DVB-S card.

  Can be done, but the only one device can power/control the LNB. I've
got 6 STB's connected to the one LNB at work. (8 way splitter, power
injected by a power injector for the LNB). All STB's on this one are
actually tuned to the same transponder, recieving different programs off
the multiplex. I have another daisy chain configuration where two boxes
are tuned to different transponders but both are vertical transmissions.

  So the first device in the chain gets to control the mode of the LNB
(Horizontal or Vertical) and the other box just has to make do - if the
first box is set to Horizontal, the 2nd can only get transponders that
are also Horizontal polarized, when it tries to tune the vertical
transponders, it won't be able to get the LNB to change mode, so those
transponders won't get signal lock.

  You can get dual LNBs so you can use the one dish but each receiver
gets to fully control it's own LNB.