[mythtv-users] Cable Box and PVR-350 Question

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Feb 2 05:12:00 UTC 2006

Bob wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Chris Ribe wrote:
>>

>>> Only slightly on topic, but is there any good reason apart from saving
>>> space in your in case, to get a PVR-350?
>>>
>>> I recently upgraded my frontend to make it HD capable, and I am
>>> thinking about using the old parts to build a remote FE/SBE.  I
>>> thought about getting a PVR-350 t oget anouther tuner + tv out on a
>>> single card, but then I realized a cheap FX5200 w/ S-Video out and a
>>> PVR-150 cost about $60 less than a PVR-350.  ($36+68 vs. $169).
>>>
>> Many people report that the TV-out of the PVR-350 is superior to most
>> cards so for the slightly higher cost, many feel they are getting the
>> best output and also it does this without using XvMC which an FX5200 may
>> require depending on the CPU you are using.  Even if you have the CPU,
>> the PVR-350 then does that superior output with little to no CPU usage.
>>

> But the TV out of the PVR 350 is only designed for outputting MPEG2 SD
> content, if you have HD content or use another codec it’s not worth it,
> (I heard rumor it can now output MPEG4 with some new / experimental
> drivers and fair bit of work from both you and your CPU).

My understanding is that MPEG-2 is MPEG-2.  HD is just higher bitrate
and resolution than SD.  I don't have a PVR-350 so I'm not sure that it
can push those resolutions but it wouldn't surprise me that it can.  And
yes, it used to suffer greatly on non-MPEG-2 content (although if all
you have are hardware recorders you only have MPEG-2 content probably).
The newer Xv drivers can do a good job of MPEG-4 playback now.

Kevin