[mythtv-users] Videos start in background only when using remote

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 1 16:19:05 UTC 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Nick wrote:

> On 01/02/06, Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> For some time now, I've been using MythVideo on the frontend to watch
>> videos with no problems.  I just got lirc working and can now use a
>> remote for most things.  However, I've noticed that now, anytime I
>> use the remote to start a video, mplayer launches behind MythTV.  So,
>> I have to ALT-TAB to bring the playing video in to the foreground.
>>
>> Any idea what is causing this?  I only found one thread related, but
>> the issue didn't appear to be resolved.
>>
>> I'm using a serial receiver (homebrew) along with irxevent to send
>> the signal to MythTV and MythTV, as mentioned above, is using
>> mplayer.
>
> I guess it could be the use of irxevent that is causing the problem.
> Any reason why you're not using the native LIRC support in
> MythTV/mplayer?

Using the native support would probably solve the problem, because it
is more than likely caused by irxevent not properly controlling
window focus. This would be somewhat dependent on the window manager/
desktop being used. Gnome, for example, is known to have problems in
this regard.

Although I agree using native lirc support is probably best,
adjusting the focus rules of the window manager might correct the
matter.