[mythtv-users] Resolution Questions

Mathew Mrosko mythtv at matmrosko.com
Wed Feb 1 15:26:43 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 4:44 am, JDeGraw wrote:
> Iam new to the group and just have a quick question.
>
> I have a mythtv dedicated box running fedora core 4 with kde. I set it
> up and everything seems to be working fine. One minor problem though.
>
> My output to the tv is through a nvidia 4mx video card via s-video but
> my screen runs off the tv edges by about an inch or so of the desktop.
> My tv is a rear projection panasonic 49 inch model. My mythtv menus do
> the same thing as well as live tv. It would be nice to be able to see
> the whole desktop kinda shrunk down to fit the tv screen. Im running the
> video card in 1024x768 mode. It seems thats the upper limit for this
> card. Now, Im thinking that getting a video card with a possible higher
> resolution would fix this? Im already running mythtv in a window on
> fedora but cannot resize the window for some reason. I bet even if I
> could it will still cut off the edges.
>
> To give an idea of how much is cut off from the picture, If I go into
> the setup menus for the frontend (as an example) I dont see the
> <next>,<back> ect.. buttons. I have to kinda guess with the remote.
> Makes it pretty hard to configure things.
>
> I sure would appreciate any comments on this. This is a brand new setup
> for me. First time getting it to work on my tv.
>
> Also noticed that my network card goes into sleep mode so my network
> connection to it goes down after so many minutes. So, I cannot give you
> my xorg.conf settings but there are only 2 lines added. They are -->
>
> Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
> Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
>
> In the device area of xorg.conf.

Try adding some different overscan settings to your xorg.conf.
It looks like this, and I believe values between 0 and 1 are allowed, where 0
is no overscan and 1 is as much overscan as the card can do.

Option  "TVOverScan" "0.9"

Also, with the network card issue.  I had that problem with a laptop using the
eepro100 module, but the e100 module fixed it for me.  Since you're using
fedora core, you probably have a bloated kernel with eepro100 support right
in the kernel, so you'll probably have to re-compile your kernel to fix that
problem.  But, just for fun, type "lsmod" and let us know what modules you
have loaded.  Also, do a real quick "lspci -vv" for us too.  It should shed
some light on what network card you have.

Mat
--
mythtv [at] matmrosko [dot] com