[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 07:01:38 UTC 2006

On 2/1/06, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> There is some overscanning on HDMI, I had to adjust Mythtv Menus to just
> spill over the edges.  The overscan on the video is not a problem.  even

Thank you for this. Do you know the reason for overscanning on HDMI, my
projector being 1280x720 you would think that with a digital connection it
would fully utilizes it.

with subtitled shows, everythings stays on screen.  Go to from the main
> menu to utilities/setup -> setup->apperance  then click next until you
> get to the "Screen Settings"  there you can play with those values until
> you get the mythgui to fit on the screen.  For my display  1280x720 I
> started with 1200 width  with an offset of 40(80/2), 80 being what I
> took off of the full resolution, so the space (black bars, whatever...)

I understand that this would work within MythTV itself, but what about
watching a DVD or a DivX, mythtv is simply calling external program ..
As you said when watching TV, overscan isn't much of a problem, I only
notices it when going into mythtv configuration screen.

would be even on the sides.  Do the same with the Height, e.g; 690
> height 15 (30/2) offset.  Play with these values until it's just bigger
> than the screen.  It might take a few minutes but worth it.

Will do when I get back home.

JY