[mythtv-users] Help, frontends cannot connect to backend

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Sun Dec 31 17:24:47 UTC 2006

On 31/12/06, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, I suppose the first question is, How does the frontend know the
> > namee/addeess of the Myth backend to atempt to connect to? Is it stored in
> > the database (makes sense that it would be, since the backend connects
> > directly to that).
> >
> This info is stored in two places /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt and
> ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt. I believe the latter is used if it exists
> otherwise myth uses /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt.

The OP must be getting fed up with people telling him this. He's
already demonstrated at length that his MySQL connectivity is just
fine and dandy, but his problem is that the FE can't connect to the
BE.

Stan, run up mythtvsetup on the backend and note what address appears
under the local backend's hostname. This is the address that any
frontend wanting to contact that backend will use. This needs to be an
IP address that is accessible from the frontends - ie not a 127.0.0.1
or localhost address.

Then check lower down what the 'master backend' address is. This also
needs to be accessible from the frontends in the same way, and in a
single BE setup is the same as the address above.

When you had a combined BE/FE, both these would have been set to 127.0.0.1.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter at bowyer.org