[mythtv-users] VHS to DVD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 31 14:58:26 UTC 2006

On Dec 31, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Stroller wrote:

> This is so often overlooked by geeks, because I think we tend to be
> perfectionists; I can imagine a strong desire to take whatever means
> are necessary to achieve the absolute best image-transfer quality,
> were I undertaking such a chore myself.

If you're coming off a VHS tape "quality" is word best taken pretty
lightly, especially if the tape is 20 years old or recorded at the 6-
hour speed. Even at low MPEG bitrates most of the crap you will see
was on the original tape, unless you have a lot of unpredictable-type
motion like sports events. Most "baby shots" are pretty static.

> But if you consider that a standalone recorder could be resold on
> your local Craigslist or classified ads in a month's time for 80% of
> it's purchase price (I always include the original receipt "store
> warranty until December next year!" in such an advertisement) then it
> really becomes cheap to transfer the movies this way.

Good point. Some outfits will even rent you a machine (or at least
they used to). But I suspect most folks would just keep it, after all
it can be used as a standalone DVD player as well as a recorder.