[mythtv-users] VHS to DVD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 31 12:59:46 UTC 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Joe Marcom wrote:

>     All computer-mode methods I have tried are tedious, and with
> variable results.  If you have more than a couple of VHS tapes, it is
> worthwhile to buy a VHS-DVD recorder and let the machine do it all.

I tend to agree with you. Standalone recorders can be had for under
$100US (at least in the USA). I picked up a unit that combines a VHS
deck and a DVD recorder for $90 (GoVideo model VR3845) and it has
performed well and copied over 300 tapes (legally I should add).

Most such units will refuse to copy protected tapes unless "measures"
are taken. I don't personally see a problem with making an "archival
backup" within the meaning and intent of the copyright laws, but
getting around Macrovision might be a technical violation of the DMCA
in the US.

Obviously any home-made tape, or one to which you own the rights, is
no problem.

If you have just a single tape, or possibly two or three, it might be
worth just paying a commercial outfit to do it for you.

But if you have a lot of time on your hands it can be done with a
computer that has a capture device and a DVD burner. By the time you
add up the cost of your time, the cost of the blanks you will
inevitably "coaster" and the aggravation, this is probably a more
expensive way to go :-)