[mythtv-users] asoundrc and 5.1

Lachlan McIntosh lachlan at directions.com.au
Sat Dec 30 22:06:22 UTC 2006

>Lachlan, are your TV recordings HD or Analogue?

It varies depending on the channel.  ABC and 9 (Australia) DVB SDTV seem
to use AC3 (my amp reports Dolby Digital) where SBS and 7

Unfortunately I have an older 4:3 TV that only does 480p, so no real use
for HDTV...

I get surround in all channels playing DVD ISOs using the internal
player.  All my transcoded recordings and files have their sound stored
as MP3, so no independent rear channels there :(

(Although I do seem to get "atmosphere" sounds from sci fi type programs
transcoded to this format)

The reason I had to use the config below was because without it
pass-through in Myth was working but I got no sound on analogue only
recordings.

I'm assuming you have pass-through turned on?  Do you have an analogue
cable at all plugged in?

Also I'm running Debian and have just about all the latest versions of
everything (I don't recommend apt-get upgrade unless you have a few
hours on your hands to get everything working again :oS)