[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) + Abit VP6 with HighPoint ATA-RAID and Sweex S-ATA (SiI3512)...

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Wed Dec 27 22:46:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

As you know my Intel D865GLC mobo is having issues, so I decided to try to
use my existing Dual PIII Abit VP6 board.

The Mobo has - aside from 2 normal IDE busses - a built in HighPoint
ATA-RAID controller. I also put in an S-ATA controller by Sweex, which is
based on the Silicon Images 3512 controller chip...

I tried installing from the Ubuntu DVD, but it doesn't recognize the extra
controllers.

When I modprobe sata_sil and/or hpt34x, the modules are loaded, but none
of the drives are recognised.

Neither DMESG nor /var/log/syslog show *anything* of the loading of these
modules

When I move the PATA drive to the standard IDE controller, it is recognized.

When I connect the array of 3 drives to my Intel D865GLC, they are all
recognized, and all works well, except for the fact that the board keeps
shutting down due to Thermal events (that aren't really there)

Does anybody have experience in installing Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10) on
either HighPoint or SiI3512 based controllers?

Any help would be appreciated!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250