[mythtv-users] Backend Setup with Dual Network Interface ??

Matt Rude mythtv at mattrude.com
Wed Dec 27 19:10:25 UTC 2006

Dave Ansell wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am setting up a new Backend server which has two NIC cards.
>    I was planning to use one connection for Myth traffic only, the other for
> other stuff (mail, http,etc).
>    So I have configured DNS
>            GeneralHost ->
>            MythHost ->
>    That is all working fine.
>    At the moment the server hostname is actually set to "GeneralHost"
>     My concern is I have read somewhere that mythbackend uses the hostname
> when saving shows in the database.   Is this correct?   If so I presume the
> effect would be to direct frontends to look for shows on the "GeneralHost"
> interface.
Mythfrontend uses your IP Address not your host name to find the backend
so by pointing your remote frontend to will tell that
frontend to use your MythHost NIC.

>     I guess the obvious solution is to change the server host name to
> "MythHost", but will that break anythig else?
YES the host name is used in the settings table in mysql. changing your
host name will require you to resetup mythtv.

   *** Backup your database before you play ***