[mythtv-users] Aspect Ratios for a Widescreen Monitor?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 19:21:49 UTC 2006

> I really don't know much about this, but this search throws up a few
> results:
>    http://www.google.com/search?q=xorg+HP+1680+1050
> Maybe some of them are relevant?

I don't know much about it either - I've been googling for quite a while -
but I don't really know what to search for. I read somewhere about someone
having a similar issue with a 30" TV, and the answer was the nvidia drivers
couldn't support that resolution yet (I don't think it was 1680x1050).

The nvidia-settings program seems very limiting with telling it what sort of
monitor I have. It's detected a 1600x1000 monitor, but won't let me tell it
that it could go to 1680x1050.

I'm also confused about whether or not I need to add a modeline to
xorg.confto adjust the size of the screen. I don't know much about it,
but I've read
reading the EDID can damage some monitors? Is it safe to experiment with
different modelines?

Thanks,

Jonny