[mythtv-users] What's better? 2.4 GHz P4 mobo or Dual 1.1 GHz PIII mobo?

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Tue Dec 26 19:10:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, December 26, 2006 19:52, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2006, at 11:33 AM, F Peeters (MythTV) wrote:
>> On Tue, December 26, 2006 18:37, Brian Wood wrote:
>> I realize that... But when I add a PVR500, I can potentially have 3
>> concurrent recordings, and thus 3 concurrent comflaggings... I
>> assume (and
>> please somebody correct me if I am wrong) that those separate
>> comflaggings
>> would be divided over the processors
> More or less true. You can also spread the jobs over time by telling
> the system to only run one or two jobs at a time, and control the
> niceness level of them. Really depends on how much of a hurry you are
> in to watch a recording with the commls flagged. In my case it is
> usually several hours or days before I get around to watching a
> recording so flagging only 1 show at a time with a low priority is
> fine and this takes little CPU.

True enough... And as - living in Europe - the commflagging is only
partially successful (at least at this time) anyway, I *could* live with
non-flagged shows once in a while...

>>> So by all counts the P4 board should be "better", plus it could be
>>> upgraded to a dual or even a quad core CPU later.
>> Negative on that... I have a 2.4 GHz P4 processor on Socket 478,
>> and do
>> not have funds right now for both a new mobo *and* a new
>> processor... I
>> got the Intel D865GLC board for free... I guess I know why now...  ;-)
>>> But the main thing is that you say you already have the dual-PIII
>>> board, and would have to buy the P4 one. Why not just try it and see
>>> if it meets your needs? If it does then the question of whether a new
>>> P4 board would be "better" is moot.
>> True enough, however the Intel board had built in SATA interfaces
>> aside
>> from the PATA... So I could have 6 devices connected. The Dual PIII
>> doesn't have SATA, so I'd have to buy a SATA card... But future RAID
>> enhancements would be SATA anyway, so that card probably would be
>> useful
>> even if I had to get a new board with built in SATA later on...
>> The only fear I have is that I will not be able to get Socket 478
>> boards
>> at all any more...
> I think the socket 478 boards will be available for quite a while, at
> least on the used/surplus market. Whether they are a smart investment
> is another matter though.

If I do not get one within the next 2-3 months, I'll definately get a
newer board with processor, so I can go dual or quad... However at this
time I need to build my new server, not in a few months!   ;-)

> But again, just try with what you have and see how it goes before
> spending any $$$.

I'll think some more on it tonight...  None of the computer shops are open
here on Boxing Day, and certainly not at this time of the day (It's past 8
PM here. Shops like those close between 17:30 and 18:00 here!)

F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250
  Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) - XFCE - MythTV 0.20 - Xine
  Panasonic NV-VHD1 VCR/DVD player case modded to fit it all in...

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list