[mythtv-users] Transcode

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:38:10 UTC 2006

> There would be extra CPU usage for playback, though. I think a P3 would be
> able to handle it without a problem, but maybe someone else knows for sure?

I used to run a combined BE/FE on a P3 750 and never had any problem
playing MPEG4 files. I can't remember if I ever used the transcoding
feature, but I did load Mythvideo with Divx, Xvid, and other movie
formats, including some wmvs and asfs (*shudder*). There were codec
issues with some of the wmv/asfs, but I never had any CPU-related
decoding issues.

I don't think you'll have any problem transcoding or playing these on
your system, but I guess there's only one way to find out for sure . .
.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.