[mythtv-users] Aspect Ratios for a Widescreen Monitor?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 26 15:34:08 UTC 2006

On 26 Dec 2006, at 13:00, jonny Linux wrote:

> I have a HP w20 widescreen 20" monitor with a NVidia FX5200 video
> card. I'm running it at 1600x1000 (native is 1680x1050, but X
> doesn't seem to want to run at that - it's the same aspect ratio,
> so it doesn't matter).

I don't know that this is relevant to the problem you subsequently
describe, but I think that outputting 1600x1000 to a monitor with a
1680x1050 native resolution is not entirely without implications.
Your PC will surely be scaling (upscaling?) videos to 1600x1000 and
the monitor then separately scaling to 1680x1050; not only is this
inefficient, but I think the monitor's scaling will be less clean &
efficient than that of your computer & graphics card (if for no other
reason than that the monitor has less processor power with which to
perform scaling on the fly). I think that this could even possibly
cause quite poor picture quality.

Are you sure X doesn't want to output at 1680x1050, or are you merely
having _difficulty_ configuring it correctly? I'd spend a little time
with this before proceeding.

Stroller.