[mythtv-users] mythbackend doesn't start

Zlatko V zlatko0612 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 26 08:34:28 UTC 2006

Hello Stroller,

Thank you for your answer.

>This looks to me like line 61 of /etc/init.d/mythbackend is calling /
>etc/init.d/function, which is failing at line 41 because it can't
>find a command or function called "daemon".
>Can you post the output of `for foo in /etc/init.d/mythbackend /etc/
>init.d/function ; do grep -C 1 -e functions -e daemon $foo ; done`,
# Starts the mythbackend as a daemon
# chkconfig: 345 90 10
#              system is started, in runlevel 5. This allows scheduled \
# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions
            # /usr/local/bin/mythbackend -d -l /some/log/file
            daemon --user ${MBE_USER} ${MBE_LOCATION}${MBE_PROG} -d -l
grep: /etc/init.d/function: No such file or directory

>My distro has a package called "daemontools" - is it possible you can
>install this on your system?

I have searched but didn't found anything similar. In the meantime I
installed 'libdaemon' but the result is the same.

>Where did you get `/etc/init.d/mythbackend` from?
I have compiled mythtv from the source mythtv-0.20, mythplugins-0.20,

>Was it packaged with the MythTV source you downloaded?

>Did `/etc/init.d/functions` >not come with it?
No, there wasn't '/etc/init.d/functions' with it or after compiling.

>is it possible that your t`/etc/init.d/mythbackend`is left over from a
No, I have installed all new, SuSE 10.2, mysql, mythtv 0.20.