[mythtv-users] mysql database size?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 24 17:28:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 04:44:14PM +0000, Andrew Lyon wrote:
> I only use mysql for mythtv but it seems to be using up a lot of disk
> space, much more than I expected:
>
> 504K	/var/lib/mysql/mysql
> 4.0K	/var/lib/mysql/test
> 74M	/var/lib/mysql/mythconverg
> 12G	/var/lib/mysql/
>
> A random selection of some of the files in the main dir and mythconverg:
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql  688697110 Oct  8 19:58 beast-bin.000057
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql   18657944 Sep 20 15:06 beast-bin.000026
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql   33462365 Dec 22 19:14 beast-bin.000100
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql       9105 Oct 28 18:50 beast-bin.000071
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql mysql   91533384 Dec 15 18:21 beast-bin.000096

You have MySQL binary logs enabled. If you don't know what those are you
probably don't need them, they're just taking up space and causing a
bigger I/O hit when your database gets updated. Running "reset master;"
from the mysql client should make the server clear those out. To
permanently disable binary logs you should disable log-bin in my.cnf and
restart MySQL.

--
Michael Heironimus