[mythtv-users] View original recording instead of transcoded recording

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 17:12:37 UTC 2006

On 12/23/06, David Power <davidmpower at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would also like to automatically transcode all recordings into a
> small file format (one person wants to view the recordings on their
> portable video device), but I would like MythTV to continue to show me
> the original recording as the default file under "Watch Recordings" on
> the main MythTV program.
>
>  Does MythTV assume that the recording I want to view under "Watch
> Recordings" is the transcoded file, and if so, how can I make it
> default back to the original file?  Thanks for any tips.

When you transcode under mythtv the default action is to replace the
original file with the new trasncoded file. It does this by naming the
transcoded file the same as the original and deleting or renaming the
original to <oldfilename>.mpg.old if you choose the keep original
files while transcoding option in myth-setup.

John