[mythtv-users] Upgradedm and now player thinks programs are way to long

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Dec 23 13:32:53 UTC 2006

OK, I've messed up a perfectly good working KnoppMyth install again :-(

Here's the sad story. I built a new Kubuntu machine, and installed
the myth-frontend debs on it. I had an existing KboppMyth backed
(an older one installed probably about a year ago0>.

When i fired up the new front end, I saw the dreaded "upgrading schema"
messages :-(. Even after that it refused to connect because it wanted
a newer network protocol version than the backend supported.

Thinking I could solve this by upgrading the backend, I grabbed the
latest KnoppMyth ISO R5D1, I believe. I installed this on the backend
using the "auto upgrade" option. Mostly this worked (even though
it still not give me a new enough version to work with the Kubuntu
frontend). But it left me with several problems. I'd solved some
of these. But the single biggest remaining on is that during playback
of recorded shows (both ones that were recorded over upgrade, and
ones recorded since the upgrade), it thinks that a 1 hour show
is something like 12 hours! (using the "I" option while playing).
This causes moving around in it to be _very_ slow. I really can't
use the page up or page down keys at all, as the take over a minute
to work.

How can I fix this?

Also, where is the setup option that controls whether the playback
starts from the last saved position or not. I had the system set
up to auto save the position, when I exited in the middle of playing
back a program, and resumed at that place. I can save the position
manually with the space bar, but when I start playback it starts
over at the beginning again.

Finally does anyone know how to make Kubuntu 6.10 work as a frontend
with this backend?

(Dennis Ritchie)